Chicanná is a small Classic era site with one particularly nice plaza, and a handful of restored structures. It presents a particularly good example of decoration used on Chenes / Rio Bec architecture. In particular, you’ll want to see the Chenes-style monster-mouth doorway on Structure II. It retains some of its original plaster with painted decorations, if you know where to look. Chicanná is a bit over 1.5 km (0.9 miles) west of the Becán ruins, an easily visited site if you’re already going to be stopping by Becán.
A Photographer’s Guide to Chicanná is a comprehensive guide to the ruins, with an eye toward making the photographs you take there the very best they can be.
This eBook will give you:
- A road map and directions to help you get to the ruins
- Two maps of the structures in the ruins (an overview map, and a detailed section map)
- Photographic equipment suggestions — what I’d suggest that you take, what you can safely leave at home
- A description of any photography restrictions at the site
- Comprehensive descriptions (with images) of the viewable structures at the site, to help you plan your time there
- Descriptions of on-site facilities (restrooms, water, etc.)
- Enough historical background to help you make sense of what you see
- Tips to help you make the best photos you can at the site
- Exclusive buyer-only access to online supplemental content — links to additional material online, images you can download for computer or iPad wallpaper, and an editable “shot list” with maps and structure images (print it out and carry it along on your visit)
Containing 3 maps, 9 images, and 10 pages of site-specific material (if printed on letter sized paper), this guide costs just $0.99. Once you download the eBook, write down your password (from Appendix C of the eBook), and head over to the Chicanná supplemental page for downloadable extras.
Buy the eBook for Kindle at Amazon.com (US store, UK store, DE store, FR store), for Apple devices on iTunes / iBooks, for Nook at Barnes & Noble, and for all other devices at Smashwords.