Calakmul was one of the two Classic era Maya superpowers, with monumental architecture to match. It is one of the most structure-rich sites in the Maya realm, and its abundant tree cover makes the walk through the sights here pleasant on a sunny day. Calakmul is a 2 hour drive from Xpujil, on a spur off highway 186 — but well worth the drive.
A Photographer’s Guide to Calakmul is a comprehensive guide to the ruins, with an eye toward making the photographs you take there the very best they can be.
This eBook will give you:
- A road map and directions to help you get to the ruins
- Three maps of the structures in the ruins
- Photographic equipment suggestions — what I’d suggest that you take, what you can safely leave at home
- A description of any photography restrictions at the site
- Comprehensive descriptions (with images) of the viewable structures at the site, to help you plan your time there
- Descriptions of on-site facilities (restrooms, water, etc.)
- Enough historical background to help you make sense of what you see
- Tips to help you make the best photos you can at the site
- Exclusive buyer-only access to online supplemental content — links to additional material online, images you can download for computer or iPad wallpaper, and an editable “shot list” with maps and structure images (print it out and carry it along on your visit)
Containing 3 maps, 24 images, and 31 pages of site-specific material (if printed on letter sized paper), this eBook guide costs $3.99. Once you purchase the eBook, write down your password (from Appendix C of the eBook), and head over to the Calakmul supplemental page for downloadable extras.